The way I see it, everyone’s a multi-storey building. Sometimes we only get to know a person’s facade and other times we find ourselves up in the attic, uncovering their real hidden treasures.
Sorry to say we’re not going up there today folks. Consider this a ground floor tour of the property.
I’ve spotted lots of those “share 20 things about yourself” requests winging their way around Insta lately, so here’s one I prepared earlier.
1. I paid someone to pump ink into my skin. Yep, I have a tattoo (and secretly want another one).
2. My Year One school teacher was my Mum and, yes, Dad came along to my first parent-teacher interview.
3. Apple juice makes me instantly ill. Even if it’s diluted with another juice, somehow my stomach can detect a millilitre of Granny Smith or Golden Delicious and my innards start acting capricious. I can eat ’em, I just can’t drink ’em.
4. I have supersonic hearing. Once, while staying in a hotel, I was woken in the middle of the night by a loud hacking sound that I could have sworn was an axe breaking through our door. Turned out it was the drip, drip, drip of the bath tap.
5. The nicest compliment I’ve ever received was back in my uni days, when I worked part-time as a checkout operator. One day I was called into the Manager’s office. Apparently some customers had called the store to give a bit of feedback on my service. They’d had a death in the family and hadn’t been out of the house for some time. They said my light-hearted banter had made them smile for the first time in ages. I’ve never forgotten their kindness in taking the time to make that call. More than 20 years later, it’s still my career highlight.
6. Hats off to the world’s talented animators but I can’t seem to warm to the genre. Drum roll please….I’ve never seen an episode of The Simpsons. I’m told I simply have to watch it some day and I’ve also put Up and Finding Nemo on my animation bucket list. I really do intend to watch them at some stage; just not today or tomorrow.
7. I’m not normally superstitious but I’ve always had a strong aversion to the number 7. So much so, when I hit 77 Facebook followers I immediately requested someone unfollow or follow me.
8. Baking sponges and cupcakes are two of my top talents.
9. I drink bucket loads of water and it makes me thirsty being around people who say no to H20.
10. I own more jewellery than clothes. Sometimes I change my bling multiple times a day. Addicted much?
11. For some inexplicable reason, I’ve never liked the word “cheers” in any other setting than a pub. Why sign off a business email with “cheers”? It always gets me thinking about clinking.
12. Every year, I consider dying my hair black. Then I pop on my black wig and promptly change my mind.
13. I’m a bit obsessive when it comes to checking locks and irons.
14. Years ago, I went through a phase of only eating foods I wanted to look like. Turns out fruit and veg were much more appealing than deep fried anything.
15. I’ve lived in Brisbane, Cambridge, Cornwall, Melbourne, Scotland and Sydney. I like my addresses to be alphabetical.
16. Iceland is my preferred holiday destination. I’ve been once but I wish I could make it an annual trip.
17. I want a King Charles Cavalier.
18. My handwriting is divisive. Some say it’s “creative” (full of curves and swirls). Others say it’s illegible.
19. I’m a terrible tourist. I don’t like reading historical signs or wearing museum headsets. I’d rather look around, take it all in and ask questions later.
20. I like it when other people share things about themselves.
I’d love to know more about you. Please share whatever you fancy below.
Linking up today with Essentially Jess for I Blog On Tuesdays.